KappaReg

Solstice & Sky Tech Forum

Reverse-Camera, Auto-Dim, OnStar, Courtesy/Map-Lights interior mirror . . .

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tekenaar Otto HR
Plano, TX, USA   USA
Inside-Mirror Reverse-Camera Display questions . . .

Here's one for any/all 'Techies' here . . . purchased a Solstice/Sky Maintenance Manual when I bought my 'Sly' '09 Solstice GXP Coupe, very end of August '09.

Reverse Camera Mirror Display requires a +12V-ACC (turns on/off with ignition switch) connection on Mirror's 16-pin Connector Plug on pin 13. TBH, manual not very clear on actual physical wire routing inside the car or the wire's color code.

So, my question is this, "Where is the closest point to the driver-side window pillar where I can source this ignition key switched +12V-ACC source required on Inside Mirror 16-pin connector's pin 13?" . . . steering column ignition switch?

Hmmm . . . that would be an unfused connection . . . Anyone?? TIA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RacerRon Ron Shurie
Annapolis, MD, USA   USA
TIA,

I'd be glad to help except that I do not have a wiring diagram. If you have on, I can help you determine where that would be.
My first guess is at the connector inside the car closest to that door where the factory attaches to door harness to the chassis harness.
The color should be the same as what comes off the switch

Keep me posted on your efforts,
Ron

tekenaar Otto HR
Plano, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 158 by tekenaar Inside-Mirror Reverse-Camera Display questions . . .

Here's one for any/all 'Techies' here . . . purchased a Solstice/Sky Maintenance Manual when I bought my 'Sly' '09 Solstice GXP Coupe, very end of August '09.

Reverse Camera Mirror Display requires a +12V-ACC (turns on/off with ignition switch) connection on Mirror's 16-pin Connector Plug on pin 13. TBH, manual not very clear on actual physical wire routing inside the car or the wire's color code.

So, my question is this, "Where is the closest point to the driver-side window pillar where I can source this ignition key switched +12V-ACC source required on Inside Mirror 16-pin connector's pin 13?" . . . steering column ignition switch?

Hmmm . . . that would be an unfused connection . . . Anyone?? TIA

Solved, excerpt of what I posted on FB . . .

About a year-and-a-half ago, my 5-year old self-installed, reverse-backup camera mirror display became irritatingly intermittent, read: 'didn't work properly most of the time'! Always seemed to have other things that ended up taking priority and, honestly, was also used to dealing with the particular blind spots while reversing my GXP Coupe.

Thought it was just a "ground" or "12V trigger" problem which would require chasing down the entire front-to-back "power/video" wire loom I'd originally installed. Trust me, quite a bit more complicated than it sounds. First tried reconnecting all the splices of the original installation, worked for some time and then became intermittent again, same problem. My son Josh suggested just replacing the camera module, citing "China/QC?" problems.

Reluctant initially, other 'China' products I used were always good . . . AND at half the cost or less here! Finally ended up spending WAY TOO MUCH time on what should've been a very simple problem. Bought new 'China' camera ($19.93), though still not believing camera to be the problem source.

Removed 'old camera' and installed identical 'new one' using my original camera 'video/power' wiring already in place. Took several hours rechecking all the connections front to back. Everything appeared to be working fine at last . . . for two days! . . . NOT the camera after all!!

Left things alone for several days till rid of frustrations . . . lesson I learned a long time ago. Left new camera in place while deciding what to do next. New camera included all new 'back-to-front' video and power wiring.

At first, I thought about pulling out all the old wiring and replacing it with the new. This would have required 'gutting' the interior extensively, at least two days for removal of old and installation of new.

Finally decided to leave existing camera wiring in place and 'snake' new video/power wire along old wire path already there. This saved almost all of the time removing and reinstalling interior panels and carpets, ended up taking about 5 hours. Soldered power/ground leads directly to reverse light wires rather than tapping it from original wiring loom as before.

Fingers crossed, mirror backup display now comes on immediately upon engaging reverse gear . . . always appeared to hesitate a bit with the old wiring. Been good now for 3 weeks . . . have to be patient, just wait and see!

A note of caution here learned during this ordeal . . . GM uses many cadmium plated fasteners throughout the Kappa chassis cars and, I imagine, most of their other brands as well, likely as a corrosion prevention. When I tested my original common ground connection I used for camera and mirror display, I found no continuity!, i.e. no ground!! I came to discover that cadmium conducts, cadmium oxide DOES NOT . . .at all!! HTH

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-26 08:34 AM by tekenaar.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
backupcamC.jpg    30.9 KB
backupcamC.jpg

tekenaar Otto HR
Plano, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 168 by tekenaar
In reply to # 158 by tekenaar Inside-Mirror Reverse-Camera Display questions . . .

A note of caution here learned during this ordeal . . . GM uses many cadmium plated fasteners throughout the Kappa chassis cars and, I imagine, most of their other brands as well, likely as a corrosion prevention. When I tested my original common ground connection I used for camera and mirror display, I found no continuity!, i.e. no ground!! I came to discover that cadmium conducts, cadmium oxide DOES NOT . . .at all!! HTH

. . . forgot to add, it's VERY DIFFICULT!! to see any color difference between cadmium and cadmium oxide !! . . . you just have to test it with a VOM! . . . OR, if you have problems with conductivity at cadmium bolt, just replace it with a plain, galvanized or stainless bolt.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-27 04:24 PM by tekenaar.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2010 Pontiac Solstice

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links